Sunday, May 18, 2008

Birthday Celebration

This blog goes out to my good Friend Karen, whose birthday happens to be today. Karen turns 27 today and is just three years from the big 30.

If you live in the United States then you probably have heard about the recent California Supreme Court decision regarding Prop 22 and the marriage definition. The court ruled that the ballot initiative, which was approved by 61% of the voters only a few years ago, is unconstitutional. Once the decision become finalized, in about 1 month, same-sex couple can get hitched and legally be married. In anticipation of this ruling, opponents have already gathered enough signatures to place a new proposition on the November ballot. This one, unlike the first, would change the California constitution instead of the law. This would make the Cal. Supreme Court's decision null and void from that point on, not retroactive to this ruling. The opponents have asked the court to stay its decision until the November election to avoid a very complex and a legal mess. You see, if the court does not stay its ruling and the ballot initiative passes, then we will have one set of gay couples who are legally married but any future couples would be denied the ability. Courts have historically viewed amendments and laws as future looking, not retroactive. That is why those married between June and November would be legally married after the new amendment is approved.

I supported Prop 22 and continued to be against "marriage" for same sex couples. This has placed a bit of friction on more than one friendships, especially the one with my friend who happens to be a lesbian. Honestly, I am disappointed by the Court's ruling but I will respect the law and the new definition. The last thing I want, however, is a continued battle over this one issue and the millions of dollars spent, by both sides (with the "liberals" planning on spending about $5 million more than the same-sex marriage opponents) on ads and a media blitzkrieg trying to convince us to vote one way or the other. I think there are better uses for that money and my conservative friends should just get over it and act like Christians should. I am against this new amendment initiative and would encourage others to vote against it as the legal mess that would be caused would be a disaster waiting to happen.

We have relied on Courts overstepping their jurisdiction in order to bring socially needed changes in the past. A majority of the population supported segregation and the Jim Crow laws that kept minorities away from the privileges of the majority. The Courts had to defy the popular vote and force the change on us. I doubt there is anyone who would argue that Courts were wrong. This may be one of those cases but I am big enough to admit that I do not know. History will be the only judge that would know for certain so I yield to history. Gay Marriage is a certainty and it is time we focus our attention and resources to stopping the "global warming" farce and helping those in need.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Being pro gay marriage, I disagree with you on Prop 22, but I'm glad to read that you won't support a constitutional change. I don't understand why people care if same-sex couples get married or not. The "sanctity" of marriage has been ruined by straight people throughout history, so I don't buy that argument. Why is it more acceptable for straight people to have sex and live together out of wedlock than for gay people to marry? Isn't that defying the sanctity of marriage, too? Changing the constitution seems so extreme. I am embarrassed to live in a country that would go so far as to change their constitution to exclude people.
I agree that we should spend more time helping people than fighting over this issue. (I do think global warming is happening, however, and I don't understand why you would want to spend money stopping a "farce.")